Thursday, November 25, 2010

Dreamweaver Stencil's Thanksgiving Day Parade and Kick Off!


In honor of our Dreamweaver Stencil's Dream Team's very first Thursday Dream Schemes and Thanksgiving Day "Parade" of holiday inspiration, I decided to post this card featuring a parade of penguins. Our challenge this week from our fearless leader, Lynell, was to create a holiday card in non-traditional colors. This meant no red and green in any variety. So, I went with wintery white and blue, with the pop of black and some sparkle. For the background, I paste-embossed the Mosaic Swirls stencil over glitter paper for a frosty look. I paste-embossed in black matte the penguins on a white cardstock panel, and covered them in black glitter. When dry, I added soft color and shading with my Copic Sketch Markers. I cut around the end penguin for more of a feeling of movement, as if he were about to dive into those gorgeous swirls. The sentiment was paste-embossed in white and sprinkled with glitter on a corrugated panel of Bazzill Bling cardstock. For those of you who haven't tried paste-embossing with stencils, you are definitely going to have fun with this process. There are so many great colors to play with, and extra ways to embellish the paste...Dreamweaver's Metallic F/X for an iridescent shimmer, glitter, chalks, Paintstiks, inks, etc.
Steps:
1) Use removable tape to hold the stencil down.
2) Apply the paste across the stencil with a palette knife as if icing a cake, smoothing off the excess.
3) Carefully remove the stencil and immediately clean with warm soapy water.
4) Add glitter over the surface immediately if desired. Set aside to dry for approximately 15-20 minutes for matte finish pastes, or 1-2 hours for glossy finish.
5) When dry you can replace the stencil in order to precisely apply the Metallic F/X, chalks, inks, or paints.

"Merry Winter" from Dreamweaver Stencils (LM252)
"Penguins" from Dreamweaver Stencils (LL560)
"Mosaic Swirls" from Dreamweaver Stencils (LJ901)
White (DEP) and Matte Black (DMBP) Embossing Paste from Dreamweaver Stencils
Multi Ultra-fine Crystal Glitter (GM220U) and Black Ultra-fine Glitter (GM365U) from Stampendous
Copic Sketch Markers
glitter paper, black and white cardstock, Bazzill Bling blue cardstock
ribbon
double-sided foam adhesive
Be sure to follow the entire "parade" of amazing creativity by hopping to each of our talented team members as listed at right, and back to the Dreamweaver "Dream It Up!" blog. Remember to leave some sugar for each of us, and to hop back again each Thursday for our latest Dream Scheme!

13 comments:

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Pam, you outdid yourself once again! (another work of art) The penguins are so real and the use of the mosaic was great too, I never would have thought of it with them, but a great combo.

Kristi said...

very cool... I love the mosaic backround..I was going to use it and then the other idea hit me! Great job.

Laura Drahozal said...

Oh, how cute! I love the penguins on the swirl. I am not sure that I ever would have thought of that. Now, I am anxious to try it!

Deborah March said...

Aaaaawwww, just the CUTEST creation Pam!

Lee Kellogg said...

I love the penguins, makes one want to follow them where ever they are headed today!

Terrece said...

What a fun idea. Your shading on the penguins is great! I love making things look three dimensional. I have the penguins will use them for a special holiday card I need. Thanks for the inspiration!!

sommrstamping said...

Pam as usual your card is incredible, I love the way you put the merry winter on the corrugated bling and the way you used all three stencils.

martina's kaartjes said...

Funny card ! great job,
greetings, martina
x

Marijane said...

Lovely card! I just love that Mosaic Swirl stencil. Looks like swirling snow.

Scrappychick said...

So very cool Pam! Love those Penguins, they are a hoot!

Louise said...

Couldn't get this to pull up properly on my iphone today, but just wanted to tell you what a great job you did with this combo of stencils. I love the penguin diving off the edge and the mosaic makes great waves!

Wendy said...

This is adorable Pam!! Perfect with the penguins!! Inlove that mosaic background! I hope you had a super weekend.

Liz Martin said...

Hmmm, I may have to add the penguin stencil to my list. They're so cute! The more I look at your card, the more I can feel the icy chill of the swirling water. Using glitter paper was a clever idea. Good job!