Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dreaming of My Grandmother's Aprons



 Wow. I almost totally forgot my post for this week's Dreamweaver Stencils' Dream Scheme Thursday. Somehow I thought it was still Tuesday. Speaking of living in the past, as I was scrambling to find a sample to use for this post, I remembered this cute old-fashioned, vintage-inspired version of the Apron stencil which was released in March. I love this apron. So versatile and so much fun to decorate. Reminds me of playing paper dolls as a child. (Yes, I am THAT old!) This version reminds me of my grandmother. She loved to cook and bake, and always had a collection of the most fun aprons. Her absolute favorite color was always aqua. The walls in her living room were aqua. The cabinets in her kitchen were aqua. The funny thing is, guess what my favorite color is now? Yep. Aqua. For this apron, I paper-pieced this using yummy October Afternoon papers in coordinating prints. So easy to do. Just place the Apron stencil over the areas you want and trace inside with a pencil, cut out and adhere. For a little added depth, I had run the main panel through the Big Shot with the stencil and adhered the piecings over the top of the embossed areas. A little distressing with a sanding block and inks, some paper piercing, a cute sentiment from Lizzie Anne Designs, and a lot of layering complete the vintage feel of this card. Now go check out what the rest of the team has been up to for this free week, play along and provide us with a link to your creation.  Happy stenciling!

LG736 Apron from Dreamweaver Stencils
Rich Cocoa Ink from Tsukineko
"Time for a Cuppa" from Lizzie Anne Designs
patterned paper from October Afternoon
ivory cardstock
brad fasteners from American Crafts
tag punch
Cuttlebug Embossing Folder

11 comments:

Terrece said...

LOVE! This is by far my favorite stencil. I love what you did with it. I'll be craft-lifting this one for sure!

Wendy said...

I am with you on aqua and the OA patterned paper. I know it is older, but I still have three sheets of each design from this collection. I am such a hoarder. This is darling by the way!! Also, you can't be too old. I played with paper dolls and I'm not old!! hahahaha

sommrstamping said...

Oh Pam So cute and Aqua is one of my favorites too. You did a great job with the paper piecing and I really love the papers you used.

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Nostalgia....It was 1961 when my dad built our home and my mother had fun by putting in trendy aqua built in oven and stovetop.The backsplash was brushed copper checkerboard tiles. It is amazing how much decor can influence our creative choices. Thanks for sharing!...this apron done with paper piecing is sooo darling!

Deborah March said...

OOOOHHH!!!! FABULOUS vintage card Pam...I am SO swiping your idea...again! Thanks for your continuous inspiration lady!

Laura Drahozal said...

Nice paper piecing. Very pretty and vintage-y. Just the look you were thinking of! Good work.

Kristi said...

Girl..so love this. love everything about it. GREAT card

Anonymous said...

Very nice Pam. I like the color combo too.

Liz Martin said...

Great job on the paper piecing and achieving the vintage look. Thanks, too, for sharing about the paper dolls and your grandmother's aprons. It brings back a lot of fun memories!

Louise said...

Great job on the paper piecing and "vintage" look! Glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't know what day it is!

Scrappychick said...

Totally fabulous dear! Love the vintage papers that you pieced together!