Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dream Schemes Monochromatic Colorway-A Masculine View

I'm posting this for the Dream Schemes Thursday a week in advance as I will be at CHA Summer in Chicago when this will post. Just had to brag about that. Hee hee. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I haven't had the opportunity to go to the CHA in Chicago for a few years, and I've really missed it. What an opportunity to see all that is brand-spanking-new in the crafting industry, meet old crafty friends and make new crafty friends. Some of these crafty friends will include a few from the Dreamweaver design team as well. Now, speaking of brand new, this post is using two new stencils being released this week at CHA...the Houndstooth pattern which will be soooo cool for  backgrounds, and this amazingly cool Gears stencil. So, yeah, it's obviously aimed at more masculine paper-crafting, but really...I love it too! Because of the more masculine feel, and because this week's challenge is a Colorway featuring monochromatic, I kept this card in the fall earthy tones of brown. The card base is Core'dinations cardstock and was run through the Big Shot with the Stripes stencil in both ways to create a plaid...highlighted by the sanding of the embossed surface. The Houndstooth stencil was first paste-embossed with Metallic Copper paste on kraft cardstock. While this was drying (approx. 40 minutes), I ran two pieces of the Mercart copper placed face down on the Gears stencil on the base platten of the Big Shot. The rubber mat went next, with the two clear plattens on top. (Putting both plattens on top helps to protect the stencils from getting bent.) The embossed pieces were wrapped around chipboard squares. A couple shades of StazOn ink was sponged over the surface, the excess was wiped away with a paper towel and a little rubbing alcohol. These "tiles" became the focal point for my card. Okay, back to the Houndstooth panel. Once dry, I replaced the stencil over the panel, ink-stenciled the pasted areas with Versamark and embossed with Stampee Bonding powder. Then I immediately poured Chocolate Latte Fun Flock over all and ran the panel through my laminator. (Note: Place panel with the flocking on top between scrap paper to protect the machine.) We've been using the laminator lately to get a super stick with the Stampee foils that Dreamweaver will be carrying, so I thought it just might help to get a super thick coverage of flock as well. It worked! The Thanks sentiment was used for it's more masculine feel and was copper paste embossed and attached with a large orange eyelet.
So, while I'm away at CHA learning new things and sharing new things, I suggest you hop around to the rest of the team and see where they took the monochromatic theme this week. Then play along with us and link your creation on the Dream It Up! blog. Get ready for some fabulous new designs coming next week! You'll be in love!


11 comments:

Wendy said...

Beautiful Pam!! A great masculine card.

Marijane said...

I LOVE this card, AND the houndstooth stencil, AND the fact that its a masculine card (I am always stymied when I have to make a "manly" card.), AND all the details you provided! Thanks... gotta have that stencil!

Scrappychick said...

LOVE that gear stencil! The card is so yummy with texture :) Hope you are having fun wench!

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Pam...I love the copper that you antiqued with ink. The gears stencil (steampunk) is so appropriate for your creation and the flocking on the houndstooth background is wonderful usage.

Melinda said...

Pam, this is very cool! luv the rustic colors.

Kristi said...

So good to see you and laugh together. This is a GREAT card!

sommrstamping said...

Great card Pam love the stencils you used together. I especially love the gear stencil it is so cool. Great masculine card.

Millsrepco said...

I LOVE this card....

Millsrepco said...

I LOVE this card....

StampendousGraphics said...

Love the flock on the houndstooth! You weren't nervous putting it through the laminator? I want to see this technique... sounds very intriguing!

Kathy V. said...

That's probably the prettiest "manly" card I've ever seen! LOVE it!