Friday, June 24, 2016

Gifts from the Sea


Today is my birthday, and there is no place I'd rather be for it than the seaside, which I fully plan to be (as I'm writing this post). I love all of the treasures of the sea, so I created this mixed media bottle of shells and sand using oodles of fun products from Stampendous and their crafty partners.

First of all, I mixed a bit of Dreamweaver Pearlescent and Translucent Pastes on my craft mat, and brushed the surface of the bottle with this, leaving space for the seahorse to be added. A heavy sprinkling (more like coating) of Teal Micro Glitter was added over the wet paste, and the bottle was set aside to dry.


I taped the Seahorse stencil to the bottle, and pasted it in Metallic Gold. While wet, the paste was sprinkled with Stampendous' Golden Sand Embossing Enamel, and heated it until puffy and set. I followed a similar process on the sides of the bottle with the Waves and Dots stencil, and embossed with Aged Teal Embossing Enamel. Little bits of sprinkles were added to the warmed bottle and melted to mimic bubbles, etc. A bit of Regular Embossing Paste was added to the bottom edge of the bottle, sprinkled with more Golden Sand, and heated for more dimension.


Now comes the really fun part! I adhered some May Arts® webby ribbon, an Aged Teal embossed starfish, some gold tinsel, shells which I embossed in gold, around the neck of the bottle with Beacon Quick Grip adhesive.


I brushed a bit of Beacon® Fast Finish™ over the surface, and sprinkled it with Teal Color Fragments, and adhered a flat glass marble using the Quick Grip again.


To "top this off", I used an interesting wine cork which I inked a bit on, and embossed partly in the Aged Teal EE. I had a cool shanked button for the top, so I dug a small indentation in the cork, and Quick Gripped that frosted button onto the top. This was just the kind of project that I loooooove to make! How about some more seaside inspiration? Here you go...
You can find all the details on the Stampendous! Impressions blog.

2 comments:

barbara macaskill said...

LOVE everything about this altered bottle! The colors are lovely and the Seahorse is darling!!
Hope your birthday is filled with love, happiness and lots of creativity! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Viki Banaszak said...

Happy, happy Birthday!!!! WoW! I love your bottle. I am going to have to make one for my bathroom now. How perfect.